Sunday, August 29, 2010

However, it is just mankind's luck that we find so much "pleasure" in stupid things like the sport mentioned in the first paragraph, or a simple game of tackle-catch combined with tackle-run with some pads thrown in, rather than picking up trash or reading a history book. Mind you, there are people out there who prefer the latter over the former any day, but if most people took the amount of time engaged in sports, and compared it to the amount of time doing something practical, I'm sure they'd find the numbers quite staggering.


So in conclusion, do I hate sports? No. Am I trying to promote them as heretical? No. I, too, am human, and find myself engaging in the activities I so harshly criticized here, but at least I can recognize exactly what I am doing, and exactly what it is doing for me. For their physical benefits, they are the greatest thing mankind has created, for it does just that while keeping you "entertained." Some sports like jogging, swimming, etc. are particularly good, for they have even better real-life benefits (if you are a lifeguard, for example), and they avoid a lot of the pitfalls discussed above. However, for all of the other intrinsic aspects of mor

No comments:

Post a Comment